Saturday, May 17, 2008

Don't Quit Your Day Job


Originally uploaded by manyfires
It struck me the other day that a bit of context would help with this blog. I believe I am somewhat typical of a worship player. There is the marriage, the kids, the 2 pet birds, the 1.5 dogs, the dozen or so half-finished projects around the house, the movies of the kids that have not been edited, the friends I haven't called back, and , and and.... I'm sure your list is just as long.

Yet if I won the lottery I'm sure I would end up spending my time and money on various musical pursuits. Whether music fits on my calendar or not it is a big part of who I am. So I find myself neglecting other pursuits to rehearse, to chart, to talk about guitars, amps, effects, to record small projects, and, and and...

Its with this context that I think about this blog. How does your average player who's day job is not music, play worship music that is good, that inspires, that doesn't distract the congregation, that is musical? If you are REALLY dedicated to worship there are far better blogs for you that I encourage you to check out. worship matters has tons of great content. But most of the blogs I find are written by worship leaders or other paid music staff. My take on worship is simply that my take. A guy with a day job, who loves music and loves serving my church and my God.

In the posts ahead I will focus on how to get the most out of the time you spend thinking, rehearsing, and playing.

No comments: